Thoughts from your Athletic Director - Mike Gatley:
Characteristics of a coachable athlete
- Being grateful that someone cares enough about you to push you to improve beyond where you would get on your own.
- Being vulnerable enough to know you’re not perfect.
- Being open to honest feedback (even if it hurts).
- Working to actively change bad habits.
Uncoachable athletes show certain key behaviors. It doesn’t take long for a coach to spot an uncoachable player, and very rarely can a coach make a player coachable. I have spoken to many coaches during my career, trying to sort out which characteristics made an athlete coachable or uncoachable. Here are some consistent characteristics of an uncoachable athlete.
Characteristics of an uncoachable athlete:
- You tend to roll our eyes or take things personally that you shouldn’t.
- You can seem ungrateful even to those who help us most.
- You read into things more deeply than you should.
- You often believe everything is about you, not the team.
- You blame others for your inadequacies.
Becoming more coachable isn’t something that can be achieved with more drills, more reps,
or multiple coach-player conferences.Those are external methods of repair that a coach can
implement. A player’s coachability is a mentality that requires diligence and attention from the athlete. In other words: coachability is up to the athlete, not the coach.
Most of the time, athletes don’t even know they’re uncoachable! It can be a shock to find out that it isn’t the coach, it isn’t the team, it isn’t the sport, isn’t the equipment… it’s actually them. Before an athlete can start on the road to becoming more coachable, they first need to understand the benefits of having a coachable mentality.
At Mainland - WE ARE ALL ABOUT TEAM. We are not interested in who is the leading scorer, leader in assists, who has the most tackles, etc. As I have always said, "every losing team, has a leading scorer." All individual accomplishments will get the appropriate recognition - if the TEAM plays well.
If you are the type of student/athlete that puts team first, you will have an excellent opportunity to become part of the Mustang Athletic Family!